British culinary star, Amy-Beth Ellice, is joining us to share her seasoned tips to creating a memorable Valentine’s Day within the comfort of your own home. Amy has been cooking since the age of three, and her first book Amy’s Baking Year, made her Britain’s youngest published cookery author in 2014 at just 16 years of age. In addition to the delicious dishes she makes in the kitchen, she also has tremendous talent for creating beautiful tablescapes. The Glam Pad loves Valentine’s Day, and we are delighted to welcome Amy today! All photography is from Amy’s portfolio.
10 Tips for a Lovely Valentine’s Day at Home
by Amy-Beth Ellice
- Start the day with a special breakfast. Nothing says “I love you” like breakfast in bed! You can get ahead by making pancake batter and setting a breakfast tray the night before so in the morning you can rustle up a delicious treat in no time.
2. Give homemade edible gifts to your loved ones – heart shaped cookies are fun to make and decorate and are a sweet treat that everyone will love!
3. Plan a romantic three course meal at home with your favourite dishes or choose a theme and escape to your favourite destination through the menu, for example, ‘A Night in Paris’. Serve French onion soup, steak au poivre and chocolate mousse for dessert.
4. Set a beautiful table. Embrace your creative side with hand written menu and place cards to add a personalised touch.
5. For a fun touch to your table, try folding your napkins into hearts or envelopes and fill with chocolates and a love letter.
6. Fresh flowers always make a table feel special and I always love to arrange them myself but you could of course collect some from your local florist. To keep things easy, stick to using one type of flower – red roses are classic or I like mixing shades of pinks and red roses to create a festive Valentine’s Day arrangement.
7. Create a romantic atmosphere with a playlist of your favourite love songs and light candles to create ambience.
8. Make a festive cocktail to start the evening on a special note. Try a raspberry royale – simply pour 1 teaspoon of raspberry liqueur into a champagne glass, add a few raspberries and top with champagne.
9, Dress up to make your Valentine’s Day dinner at home feel extra special.
10. And most importantly plan and prepare in advance. Get ahead by setting the table and preparing things in advance so you can enjoy the day.
Amy, thank you so much for the heart felt inspiration! Such beautiful suggestions!
To learn more about Amy-Beth Ellice, please follow @amybethellice_ on Instagram. You will also want to pick up a copy of her book, Amy’s Baking Year, for recipes and inspiration on all the holidays year-round. Amy is working on her second book, which is about entertaining at home throughout the year. You can read more about her from The Glam Pad here.